In the following CNET forum discussion people discuss if adwares that make search redirects are viruses or money makers.
Some of points to review
- "Run a scan with AdwCleaner."
- "you make your clicks and you take your chances"
- "These annoying redirects are often add-on's to some program or feature that users download. They can often be avoided by carefully looking at the installation GUI as you install downloads. Often times there are check-boxes that have their defaults set to allow the installer to install additional items. You should almost always decline (not check) these add-on's."
"Read the installation and/or download GUI very carefully before you advance to the next page.
(2) Select a custom rather than an express install.
(3) Deselect or choose to decline when another program install is mentioned."