PickMeApp can keep track of all installation packages on your computer as well as remote application collections. As such, it can also be used as an application installer without going through the trouble of looking for the installation package on your computer or the web.
For more efficient management of your installations by PickMeApp, you need to configure your Install settings first.
- To configure your install settings:
- Click Settings on the Main Toolbar (see The PickMeApp User Interface).
- On the Settings window, click the Install tab.
- By default, the following Install settings are enabled:
- Guess Silent Uninstallation
- Create System Restore point prior to install
- Make Downloads folder as PickMeApp Profile For more information, see Using Profiles.
- By default, the following capture settings are disabled:
- Allow reinstall installed programs with the same or older version
- Install application with customized settings
- Save installation packages
- To disable or enable a setting, click the checkbox to its left.
- MyDownloads is the default download cache location that PickMeApp uses to save locally downloaded installation packages. To change this, click Browse and select a different profile from your computer.
- By default, PickMeApp allows searching for installation packages in Web Repository. You can set this to Local Repository so PickMeApp will first look in the MyDownloads cache.
- Click Apply to save the configuration settings.
It is recommended to upgrade Windows Installer to version 4.5 and up when working with PickMeApp. Many programs require a runtime environment to be installed on the destination system. As of now, PickMeApp does not check if the required environment is installed. Therefore, it is recommended to download and install the following:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (and up)
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
- Java Runtime Environment
You can use PickMeApp to install these applications once you have downloaded them onto your computer.
Note: Some installation packages may have other requirements aside from the above.
Installing an Application
Before you can install an application, you should select the Profile where its installation package is located. If you do not know where the installation package is located, you can filter the list of installation software packages for the application. For more information, see Filtering Installed Applications.
To install a single installation package:
- Highlight the application you want to install on the Installation Software Packages panel.
- Click the Install button on the Installation Package Bar.
- Click Yes on the confirmation message to continue with the Install process.
- The Progress Bar shows how far you are into the Install process. The Session Log Window also displays the status of the current session.
- Once the Install process is completed, the Progress Bar is refreshed/cleared and the Current session tab under the Log Window displays an Install process is finished entry.
Installing Multiple Applications at the Same Time
It is possible to install several application packages at once only if these applications do not require user interaction during the installation process.
By default, PickMeApp tries to guess the non-interactive, unattended, and silent uninstallation sequence (see Install Settings). This allows installation of multiple applications.
While installing multiple applications, installation packages that do not allow unattended installations are identified and their install dialogs opened. Their installation is also skipped. Installation of these packages is left to the user to complete interactively.
To install multiple applications at the same time:
- On the Installation Software Packages panel, check the boxes to the left of the applications to be installed. Alternatively, you can filter the list and narrow it down to the applications you want to install (see Filtering Installation Packages).
- Click the Application Bar, then click Install, which is enabled only when you have marked/selected one or more applications listed under the active profile.
- Click Yes on the confirmation messages to continue with the installation processes.
- The Progress Bar shows how far you are into an application’s Install process. The Session Log Window also displays the status of the current session.
- Once all selected packages are installed, the Progress Bar is refreshed/cleared and the Current session tab under the Log Window displays several Install processes is finished entries corresponding to the selected number of installation packages.